The National Premier Soccer League (NPSL) is the successor to the Men’s Premier Soccer League (MPSL), which was formed in 2002. By 2005 it became necessary for the league to expand to a national format in order to accommodate teams from the Midwest region. The NPSL expanded further in 2007 by adding a Northeastern region. In 2011, with the addition of a Southeastern region, the National Premier Soccer League has truly become a nationwide league.
The NPSL is sanctioned by the United States Soccer Federation (USSF), the governing body of soccer in the United States. The NPSL operates and is managed as a team-run league. The structure of the league allows each team to have one vote on the executive committee. Each team is individually owned and operated, and is responsible for maintaining league minimum standards. New teams seeking membership into the NPSL are subject to approval from an executive committee comprised of existing team owners.
The three tenets of the NPSL are Integrity, Success and Longevity.
NPSL Mission Statement:
- Provide the highest level of men’s soccer and strive to continuously raise the overall standard of play
- Pursue every avenue of promotion and community involvement to create public awareness of the NPSL
- Ensure that all new teams entering the league posess and maintain financial stability
What Makes the NPSL Unique?
- Professionally operated teams
- Teams comprised of players holding amateur playing status (high school, collegiate and former professional athletes)
- Players maintain college eligibility and play at an elite level with a mix of young and veteran players
- Showcase for players who aspire to move to the professional level
- League ownership comprised of its member teams
- Low entry cost and low annual dues for league membership
- Extremely competitive league structure
We are not aware of any teams having open tryouts at this time but please feel free to contact your local team directly. When we are given notice of any open tryouts with existing teams, we will post it here. Some teams have fall tryouts although most teams have their open tryouts after the turn of the year and through April.
Thank you for your interest in playing with the NPSL. We encourage you to get in touch with your local teams.